The cemetery was built at the end of 17th century, when the dead were no longer buried on the Ikšķile Church graveyard and pastorate. Originally it was a cemetery for Latvian peasants and craftsmen, but starting with 1772 it also held the German members of Ikšķile Congregation. In 19th century a part of the cemetery was dedicated to members of the Russian Orthodox Church, which later turned into a separate cemetery. This cemetery was used for Orthodox converted Latvians and soldiers from the nearby Russian Army camp. Ikšķile Cemetery is an important cultural and historic monument; here lies a monument to Latvian Riflemen that fell in World War 1, erected in 1926. Ikšķile Cemetery is one of the oldest still used cemeteries in Latvia.
GPS 56.8314 24.4947