Vārda dienu svin: Varis, Eduards, Edvards

ikskile fbikskile twitterikskile youtube  lv en ru

1863eb918da56356c85cafd392eb74c7

Monuments and memorials

Statue of Saint Meinhard   
meinarda statujka

Daugavas prospectus 20b
Ikskile
GPS 56.8347 24.5014                                             

 
 

To honour the memory of the first Archbishop of Latvia, in September 24, 2010 a statue of Saint Meinhard was erected by the motorway Rīga-Daugavpils. It is 5.72 m high. The statue was made after the initiative of the Roman Catholic Dean Konstantins Bojars. The sculptor was Viktors Suskevics, sponsor - Juris Savickis.
Meinhard (Meinardus), est. 1125-1196, first Livonian bishop, holy man. Meinhard arrived in Daugavgrīva sometime after 1163. A few years before 1184, Meinhard, with the permission of the Prince of Polotsk, began preaching Christianity to the Daugavgriva Livonians, moved to Ikskile, where he built a church and, with the help of Visby millstone cutters, also a castle and another castle on Martinsala in 1187. In 1186 Hartwig II, the Prince-Archbishop of Bremen, promoted him to the Livonian Bishop in Ikšķile and ordained him in the Bremen church. Meinhard died in Ikskile and was buried there. At the end of the 14th century, Meinhard's remains were brought to the Riga Cathedral, where he also received a statue.

Tinuzi monument to the politically repressed   
piemineklis represetajiem

Tinuzi district
Ikskile region
GPS 56.8648 24.5603                                            

 
 
Mounted near at Tinuzu primary school. Dedicated to the Latvian Riflemen battle of Jugla in the WWI. Open on 3 September 2005, sculptor Janis Karlovs   
Altar of Heroes in Tinuzi   
varonu altāris

Tinuzu district
Ikskile region
GPS 56.8671 24.5670                                           

 

Monument "Altar of Heroes" for the Battle of Maza Jugla.
In September 3, 2005 the monument "Altar of Heroes", made by sculptor Janis Karlovs, was revealed at the Tīnūži Secondary School. It is dedicated to the Latvian Riflemen battles by the Mazā Jugla river during World War I - September 1-2, 1917.
The Latvian Riflemen successfully defended against the German Army, preventing the 12th division from being surrounded and stopping the German advancement to Petrograd. Among the World War I battles, this was one of the most casualty heavy - over 3500 Riflemen died or were listed as MIA over the span 26 hours.

Ikskile memorial stone   
piemias akmens

Rigas str. 20
Ikskile
GPS 56.8202 24.5018                                           

 
 
The Memorial Stone was installed in the October of 1988, on the banks of Daugava, opposite the ruins of the Old Ikšķile Church. The Ikšķile Division of the Latvian Culture Foundation erected the memorial stone, where Ikšķile's name is inscribed in three languages - Latin, German, and Latvian. The oldest known location of a stone building in the Baltic States. In 1185 this was the location of a Livonian village. It is across from the Saint Meinhard's Island.   
800th year park   
800 gades parks

Daugavas pr. and Birzes str. junction
Ikskile
GPS 56.8331 24.4997                                          

 
In 1985, in order to celebrate 800 years since Ikšķile was founded, a commemorative stone sculpted by Jānis Karlovs was placed in the central park.   The anniversary was also celebrated in the Vatican, tying it with the beginning of the spread of Christianity in the Baltic. The ruins of the first Ikšķile church are located on St. Meinhard's Island in the middle of Daugava.   
Cemetery at Lungi "Lundt"   
lunu kapi  

In the territory of Ikskile region near Lungi
GPS 56.8666 24.5012                                          

 
World War I Military Cemetery "Lungi" is located on the side of Ikskile - Dobelnieki road, 28km from Riga. 95 German soldiers who fell in battle against the Russian 130th Kherson Infantry 1917 1 - 2 September are buried in this cemetery. Initially graves were set by locals. In 1926 the German government's financial support gave chance to installthe imposition of concrete shafts and granite monument. During the Soviet occupation cemeteries were demolished, destroyed and parts of the concrete crosses were damaged.   

 

II Kaparamuri cemetery   
 kaparamuri II  

Road junction of Ikskile – Selekas and Ikskile – Dobelnieki
GPS 56.8607 24.4969

 
The cemetery is located at the road junction of Ikskile – Selekas and Ikskile – Dobelnieki, about 30km from Riga. In 1916 in this place 272 Russian soldiers who died from poisoning by gases at "Naves sala”( The Death island) were buried ". In the second part of the cemetery the Germans created a separate burial place for 42 German soldiers who went to the small Jugla River district on 1 September 1917. ON 2011 the Orthodox cross of the fallen soldiers of the Russian army was installed on this place.    
I Kaparamuri cemetery   
 kaparamuri I  

At the territory of Ikskile region near Kaparamuri
GPS 56.8587 24.5044

 
WWI War Cemetery is located near at Ikskile - Dobelnieki road. The plaque at the gate concrete pole says that here are buried 4470 (at the Brethren Cemetery Committee materials - 1000) the Russian army soldiers (including the Latvians) who have been killed or died, poisoning with poisonous gases at the “Naves sala” (The Death island)" in 1916. In 1968, settling grave sets the central granite monument with the inscription: LIFE FORCE / die / 4470 / 1915-1917 and 44 boulders were installed in.   
Cemetery "Lejastinuzi"   
lejastinuzi

Tinuzi, Ikskile region
GPS 56.8756 24.5701                                            

 
 
WWI German War Cemetery is located at Ikskile region near Ropazi - Tinuzi roadside, 33km from Riga. 138 German soldiers who have fallen in battle of Jugla, near TInuzi 1917. 1 - 2 September, fighting 2. Latvian Riflemen Brigade units are buried in this cemetery. 73 unknown Russian Army fighters were also buried here by German soldiers buried in mass graves. In case of this event concrete crosses with the text "Unbekannt Russenes were imposed at the corners of the cemetery ". These are buried in Latvian soldiers from the 6th Tukums Latvian Riflemen Regiment who fought at Tinuzi neighbourhood. Interwar period graves were set by locals. In 1935, by the help of the German government's financial support the granite monument was installed.   
Liepaderi cemetery "Leepader"   
liepaderi

At the territory of Ikskile region near Liepaderi
GPS 56.8927 24.5161                                            

 
 
WWI soldiers’ cemetery "Liepaderi" is located at Ikskile region, next to Dobelnieki, 28 km from Riga. 44 German soldiers who fell in 1917 on 1 - 2 September on the battle of Jugla river fighting, 5th and 7th Zemgale Bauska Latvian Riflemen regiment ar buried here. At first wooden crosses were installed in burial places. In 1926 by financial support from the German governments the imposition of concrete shafts and granite monument were installed. During the Soviet occupation the cemetery was demolished several times, vandals destroyed and damaged parts of the concrete crosses, metal gates were also broken off.   
Old Ikskile cemetery   
vecie kapi

Klusa street
Ikskile
GPS 56.8314 24.4947                                           

 
 
The cemetery was built at the end of 17th century, when the dead were no longer buried on the Ikšķile Church graveyard and pastorate. Originally it was a cemetery for Latvian peasants and craftsmen, but starting with 1772 it also held the German members of Ikšķile Congregation. In 19th century a part of the cemetery was dedicated to members of the Russian Orthodox Church, which later turned into a separate cemetery. This cemetery was used for Orthodox converted Latvians and soldiers from the nearby Russian Army camp. Ikšķile Cemetery is an important cultural and historic monument; here lies a monument to Latvian Riflemen that fell in World War 1, erected in 1926. Ikšķile Cemetery is one of the oldest still used cemeteries in Latvia.   
Sila brethren cemetery   
 Sila br

At the territory of Ikskile region near Kalniesi
GPS 56.8508 24.5910 

 
 
German and Russian Army soldiers’ cemetery "Sille - Lindenberg". 124 (including 40 unknown) German and 3 unknown Russian soldiers who fell in 1917 on 1st and 2nd September were buried here.. In 1937 cemetery monument and individual concrete crosses with the names of fallen soldiers were installed, troops belonging and destruction to date, which after World War II were completely destroyed (part of smashed crosses now gathered at the monument). Grave area enclosed by earthwork.  Brick entrance gate is well preserved till nowadays.   
 Theodor Nette Monument  
 Teodors Nette  

Parbrauktuves street 4
Ikskile
GPS 56.8396 24.5050                                    

 

Theodor Nette was a USSR diplomatic courier of Latvian descent. He was killed on board the train between Ikšķile and Koknese stations. Theodor Nette was born in Moscow (some sources say Rīga); was an active member of the Communist Party since 1914. In 1917 he joined the Red Army. During the civil war he was a commissioner and a battalion commander in the Southern front. He began courier duties in 1919.
Theodor Nette was murdered by Anton and Bronislav Gabrilovich, Lithuanian citizens of Polish ethnicity. Although the Latvian Government announced a 50 000 rouble reward, no further information could be found. One version of the events claims that diplomatic couriers were transporting large funds to anti-Latvian underground (communist) organisations. The robbers had wanted to steal this money. Since the robbery didn't succeed (the messages were delivered to the Russian Embassy), this version isn't confirmed. The Soviet Union commemorated this day as the Diplomatic Courier Day; the Soviet Russian steamship Tver was renamed Teodors Nette on February 20, 1926. Mayakovsky wrote a poem "To Comrade Nette, the Man and the Ship"