Vārda dienu svin: Tenis, Dravis

ikskile fbikskile twitterikskile youtube  lv en ru


Culture & history

   Cultural heritage centre "Tinuzi manor"

 Tnu muia m

Ikskile region
Ph. +371 26669452
GPS 56.8681 24.5701                                          


Cultural heritage center "Tinuzu Manor" - in located in the barn, built in the 20th century 30 -ies, and the main exhibition is dedicated to the Latvian Riflemen battles near of Little Jugla (Mazā Jugla) river in 1917.
Here you can see unpublished photos, weapons, uniforms and various items found at battle sites.

 Tinuzi manor intendant's house

 Tnu muizas parv.eka m

Tinuzi county
Ikskile region
Ph. +371 26669452
GPS 56.8681 24.5701                                        

The first written sources about Tīnūži are dated to 16th century; the Manor has been owned by several families - the von Rosens, the von Tiesenhausens, and until the end of World War I it was owned by the von Wolfs.  During the Latvian War of Independence the Manor was the headquarters of the 4th Valmiera Infantry Regiment. In 1932 the Manor was given to the Latvian War Invalid Association. During World War II the Manor House was destroyed and a new building was built on the foundations. From the former Manor buildings most have survived until today, those interested can view the household buildings, former brewery and steward's house, built at the beginning of the 20th century.   

 Painter's Janis Kuga house  

 Kugas mja

Jāņa Kugas street 11
GPS 56.8274 24.4985                                         


Painter’s and stage designer’s Janis Kuga house was built and designed by himself. At 1989, on July 2, a memorial plaque at the house was unveiled, that was a gift from Latvian Art academy Sculpture Department. In nowadays the building can only be viewed from the outside.
Painter John Kuga is Latvian scenography founder. Born in 1878 on December 12, in Ikskiles region.
Kuga has left a deep impact on the development of Latvian theatre set design. He created monumentally gorgeous set pieces for many plays and shows, displaying deep cultural knowledge of the show era, architecture. He carefully studied the construction of the ancient Latvian living houses to successfully emulate this for his set pieces.
He created the altar piece of the Ikšķile church, the ceiling paintings of the Riga Castle. He painted landscapes, portraits and still-life paintings, as well as the stage presentation for day when Latvian Republic declared its independence, in November 18, 1918.

Elksni school

 Elku skola

Rīgas street 175
Ikskile region
GPS 56.8187 24.5333                                         


In the middle of the 19th century it becomes necessary to open a new school to prepare for the church school, which would then be a higher learning school. The large building of the Elkšņi pub is chosen. The Elkšņi school is opened in 1964, on the Jurģi Day. The building was rented for the school for a specific period of time. Almost all Ikšķile children receive their education here until 1912. Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation holds so called "potato medals" that had to be worn by Latvian speaking kids, since the official language of the Russian Empire was Russian. These medals were found in the Elkšņi School's attic in 1970s, when the school was closed.
The same year a Ministry School was built nearby, but the Elkšņi School building was used as a boarding-school. The new building is light, with large windows and high ceiling, large gas lamps, cafeteria and laundry room.
The lifetime of the new school is very short, as the building was destroyed in World War I and was never restored. Children are taught in other suitable buildings until 1923, when the Elkšņi School building undergoes repairs and is restored. The school is used until 1966, when a new two storey school is built in the Ikšķile centre, now Ikšķile High School.
Since 1966 the old building is used for different purposes - it has housed a kindergarten, a sports school, and apartments.
Currently the building has regained its aura and houses the Ikšķile Brīvā Skola (Ikšķile Free School), which offers an alternative humanitarian methodology base to the State standard learning method, by using individual teaching methods.

Kabeles hill (Livs burial)


Ikskile region
GPS 56.8435 24.4527                                         


Kabeles hill burial ground. Liv cultural boom was experienced in 10th -13th century. Around the banks of the Daugava river there were built settlements. Different cultural and archeological monuments are found from Aizkraukle up to the mouth of the river Daugava, but a large number of them were killed when the Riga Hydro power plant was built in 1970-ies. During the construction of the hydro power plant, under water went 13 cemeteries, one mound, 7 villages, medieval churches and two cemeteries. TIll the present day only two Liv barrow cemeteries have been preserved, one of them is Ikskile Kabeles hill. In this cemetery remained 81 Liv barrows, which is a significant cultural and historical heritage.
At the moment, thanks to the citizens' initiative and active participation, burial hill is well maintained and freed from bushes, to show this great cultural heritage.

Seawall of Riga hydropower plant


Ikskile region
GPS 56.8245 24.4910                                       


Riga HPP seawall was installed to protect adjoining areas from flooding and to ensure the optimum level of ground water. Seawalls in Ikskile (3.6 km) and Ogre (3,6 km) are great place for city residents and its guests to have a walking, or do fishing, and water sports.
Riga HPP is the newest hydroelectric power plant of the Daugava and the second largest power plant in Latvia. It was built from 1966 to 1974 and is located 35 km from the river mouth. The idea was to build several hydroelectric power stations on the river Daugava, and the Riga HPP building was planned in 1910, but the intention was disrupted by the World War First.
Riga HPP reservoir is the largest artificial water reservoir in Latvia - area is 42.3 km2, volume - 339 million. m3

Authentic viking boat "Üxküll"

 Vikingu kuis  

Water sports centre in Iksile
Peldu street 28
Ikskile region
GPS 56.8296 24.4839
ph. +371 20279011


«Üxküll" is 2.20 meters wide and 9 meters long viking ship, made of oak at history club’s "BALTIC SNIKE" workshop at Vecumnieki, Latvia.
The ship is built to provide trips on the River Daugava, to participate in a variety of historical events. Ship is built for 830th anniversary of Ikskile city in 2015.
About the ship «Üxküll»:
Length - 9 meters, width - 2.2 meters, a mast length - 7 meters;
Sail area - 14 square meters, when sailing – places for 14 persons, when rowing – 10 persons.
«Üxküll» ship tour should be ordered in advance.

Horse tram (historical information)

 zirgu tramvajs    

After the railway line Riga - Dinaburg (Daugavpils) was opened at the middle of 19th century, the rapid private home building began . Along with the opening of the railway line, also Ikskile - Baldone horse tram started to operate.
During the World War I, the German militarists in Baldone built a narrow – gauge railway. One of the railway brances was used as a tram track. On Ikskile side horse tram went starting from the railway station of Ikskile, then on Daugava prospect and then Ozolu street. Every year horse tram was rented and there were a lot of users. Two little carriages with open windows, that how it looked. People and horses were carried to the other bank of the river Daugava using ferriage. On Baldone side horses were harnessed and carriage continued its ride till Baldone centre.

 Dancu (Dances) pub

 dancu krogs

Rīgas street 41
Ikskile region
GPS 56.8220 24.5014                                         

This pub had no blacksmith forge, nor any other tradesman, not including postal station. It seems that it was the first cultural building in Ikskile, because, next to a manor, church and school. Since it is the adjoining pub, it is been rebuilt and wry, converted into a residential house, shed and who knows what else. Currently it has kept only its name.                           

Open - air stage of Ikskile   


Peldu and Libiesu intersection
Ikskile region
GPS 56.8344 24.4942                                       

Open - air stage was built in 1980-ies. Building took place in a joint work kind and in them participated hundreds of Ikskile citizens, who involved with a heavy building technique, building materials and with the help of professional builders   

Garrison (military) park  

 Garnizona parks

Peldu street
Ikskile region
GPS 56.8304 24.4893                                      

Park was set as army greenery in year 1904-1905, who once were several times bigger than now. There are five national secular trees, as well as 17 trees, which corresponds to the height of the status of a protected tree.   

Ikskile railway station


Pārbrauktuves iela
GPS 56.8392 24.5053                                    


Built at the middle of 19th century. The building has been built by that time the best building principles - a spacious building, with a large clock outside, the tea buffet, oak wood benches in the waiting room, a little further away from the station - a water tower and pump because locomotives on that time were powered by steam power.
Station building was always repainted, and it gets so till the World War II. Then the Germans blowed up and burned rail station.

Blown up bridge over river Maza Jugla   

 tilts Jugla

Ikskile region
GPS 56.8960 24.5200                                    

The bridge over the Maza Jugla river: was once a large and important bridge. During the World War I-  it is blown up by Latvian riflemen , no to allow the Germans cross it over with their carts, guns, etc.